The property was founded in the 18th century by Gabriel Ferrière. He was a shipping broker and king's hunting officer.
The estate was gradually expanded by his first cousin Jean, mayor of
Bordeaux in 1792. At the death of the latter, the property was sold by
the court for joint ownership and minor heirs. His widow, Marie Commet, bought her. She had three heir children: Gabriel, Michel and Rosa.
When his mother died, Michel Ferrière was the sole owner of the estate and exchanged some parcels.
When he died, he left as his heirs his brother Gabriel and his sister
Rosa, who herself was a widow of Jacques Castaing and owner of the
Château Chasse-Spleen in Grand-Poujeaux, commune of Moulis in Medoc.
Subsequently, the castle passed into the hands of their cousin Henri
Ferrière who sold it to Armand Feuillerat in 1913, then owner of the
Château Marquis de Terme.
The daughter of Armand Feuillerat, Mrs. Durand inherited the castle which she left to her children.
It was in 1952 that the heirs Durand rented the vineyards to Alexis
Lichine, owner of the Château Lascombes who then maintained and
exploited it and had the harvest that was mostly in the castle
For 40 years, Château Ferrière's production was very low and only the
passengers of a major airline had the opportunity to see its potential.
In 1988, Jacques Merlaut bought the vineyards and the castle, but it
was not until 1992 that the lease agreement with Château Lascombes was
terminated and thus the first vintage produced by his daughter
Bernadette Villars-Merlaut was born.
Jacques Merlaut and his family also owned the Château Chasse-Spleen, La
Gurgue, Haut-Bages Libéral and the GINESTET trading house.
On the death of her parents, Claire Villars takes over her mother's
work and since 2000, the year of the distribution of the properties
between the family members, she fully assures the management of the cru,
as well as that of the Châteaux Haut-Bages Libéral and La Gurgue.