the Middle Ages, the castle Cantemerle was part of the line of
fortifications that defended the banks of the Medoc, about a kilometer
from the current castle.
The oldest known manuscript attesting to the existence of the Lords of
Cantemerle dates from 1147. It is the famous "Grand Cartulaire" of the
Abbey of the Sauve Majeure. This manuscript was used to record all transactions made by the monastic community. In 1147, this abbey received several lands donated by Sir Arnaud de Blanquefort, on the eve of his departure on a crusade. This donation is made in the presence of Pons de Cantemerle.
The first traces of wine production on the estate were found as early
as 1354: the Lord of Cantemerle paid tithing with a barrel of clairet.
There are milestones in the life of a wine.
The combination of the aging of the vineyard and the evolution of its
management is probably a major turning point in the history of
Today, the property is more than ever in the sporting competition in
which the Grands Cru Classés of the Médoc are engaged in favor of
Its rank will always depend on the intrinsic qualities of its terroir
and their perception by the amateur through the wines it produces each
The desire to always do better humans who accompany it every day and at
all levels remains very strong at the end of this decade.
Arranged around a majestic courtyard, their beautiful neoclassical
architecture testifies with greatness of esteem that the successive
owners of Cantemerle have always brought to wine. These beautiful buildings, in perfect harmony with the whole area, are technically at the forefront of progress.
They house three thermo-regulated vats with a total capacity of 8000
hl: a 3400 hl wood vat for old vines, a 2200 hl stainless steel vat
destined mainly for young vines and a 2400 hl cement vat used for
assemblies. The adjoining cellars, all air-conditioned, contain 2000 barrels.