The family PETIT-LAROCHE has been wine merchants in the 19th century. Their headquarters were located at 104 cours Saint-Louis in Bordeaux and in 1871 they asked the CAVES and WAREHOUSE MOULIS, in the geographical center of Haut-Médoc, next to from the Moulis train station, to be built in to practice for their trade.
They had chosen the immediate proximity of the train station in order to allow the teams to only have a few steps to load their wines on trains leaving for Europe. «The Company of Warehouses of Moulis aims at the sale to the trade, either on the place of Bordeaux, or abroad, wines of Médoc are stored in the cellars built in front of the station of Moulis which is a central point between Margaux, Pauillac, Saint-Julien and Saint-Estèphe ", specified by Messrs. Petit Laroche at that time.
This magnificent building, all in stone was originally stretched over 3000 square meters. It had been built "with extreme care and all the improvements that could help the good conservation of the wines. A large corridor or walkway goes around the establishment and one enters the cellars only by side doors preceded by other doors known as windbreakers. Chimneys closed by sliders are established in each compartment to facilitate the evaporation of gases”.
These enormous cellars for the time housed a winery of 180,000 liters, 9,000 barrels and 300,000 bottles. In 1875, J. Petit-Laroche got married, and offered wife as a wedding present to his wife: the construction of a beautiful French mansions facing one of his Médoc cellars: the current Château. The work was done by the Marian brothers who were entrepreneurs in Moulis. It was a strange and daring architectural blend that seemed to combine several styles, like the wine of Médoc that is made from the blending of several grape varieties. The overabundance of decor, which evokes the Renaissance, the mid-late seventeenth century, did make this building an excellent example of the eclectic architecture that flourished in the Medoc at the end of the nineteenth century, before the crises that the vineyard would know later (Phylloxera, blight ...).
The Château MAUCAILLOU building is listed in the "BORDEAUX CHATEAU" inventory. Simultaneously, J. Petit-Laroche let the places known as "MAUCAILLOU" and "CAUBET» had been built, on a hectare and a half, a new vineyard which will take the name of Château MAUCAILLOU.
The MOULIS vineyard is the oldest in the Médoc. We can trace it back to various titles of property in the XVth and XVIth centuries. The terroirs which carried the 63 hectares of vineyard of the Château Maucaillou, consisted of beautiful quaternary alluvial ridges, coming largely from the gravelly subsoil of Güntz, the one that is behind the classiefied growth in the Médoc region.It is this "grave" composed of big bright pebbles, which, in summer, reflects the sun's rays on the grapes, thus favoring their complete maturity which is an essential condition for the birth of a great wine.
The vinification is held with the greatest attention by the Dourthe family, in two modern vats that are benefiting from the very latest technology. The stainless steel vat room is entirely thermo regulated in order to apply the particular method that Philippe Dourthe had developed in the year 1982. It consists of vinifying at a relatively low temperature during the first days in order to extract the quintessence of the grapes fruity aromas, then, at the end of the fermentation they let the temperature rise in order to extract the finest tannins as well as the best color.